“Great sleep is much closer than you think. You just have to know what is actually going to help you, and then forget about the rest.“
Why Deliberately Better?
Deliberate practice is the most effective way to get better at any skill. Sleep is no exception. Unfortunately, with how busy everyone’s lives can get, it can be hard to take the time to learn and implement the skills that are required for great sleep.
That’s why at Deliberately Better, we have created a website that can give you all the skills you need. We have explored all the most recommended strategies, tested them out personally for you, and seen how easy they were to apply. We then wrote down all the steps you can take if you want to try out these strategies yourself.
We also ranked them in terms of which strategy is most scientifically supported:
- Sleep restriction = 45 points (out of a possible 50)
- Stimulus control = 45 points
- Winding down pre-sleep = 40 points
- Avoiding alcohol consumption = 40 points
- Meditating everyday = 40 points
- Taking melatonin tablets = 40 points
- Wearing blue-light blocking glasses for the last two hours pre-sleep = 38 points
- Relaxation strategies in the evening = 37 points
- Yoga or Pilates during the day = 37 points
- Listening to relaxing music in the evening = 35 points
- Avoiding TV in the last two hours before sleep = 33 points
- Getting 20 minutes of morning sunlight exposure shortly after waking up = 32 points
- Getting a massage during the day = 32 points
- Sauna, steam room or spa in the early evening = 30 points
- Exercising more during the day = 30 points
- Avoiding caffeine consumption = 30 points
- Journaling or constructive worry two hours before bed = 30 points
- Modulating my temperature = 30 points
- Sleeping on a comfortable bed = 30 points
- Reading a book or listening to an audiobook before sleep = 25 points
- Aromatherapy in the evening = 25 points
- Changing what I eat and when I eat = 25 points
- Sleeping alone = 25 points
- Having a session in a float tank = 25 points
- Doing something creative in the evening = 20 points
We believe in a holistic approach to sleep, taking into account physical, mental and emotional well-being. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I) is the gold standard treatment for insomnia, and it is much more effective at creating long-term and sustainable changes in sleep than sleeping pills. Components of CBT-I treatment are what we would most recommend to improve people’s sleep, but we also explore other strategies that are not typically included in CBT-I.
While you can be assured that our approaches are backed by science, there will be no wires, hospital beds, doctors offices or therapy rooms. Instead, the services at Deliberately Better help you to implement and improve your sleep from the comfort of your own home. How much time, effort and money you put into improving your sleep is up to you!
Who is it for?
Any individual over 18 is welcome to purchase our sleep packages. Based on past experience, those with the following symptoms are likely to experience the greatest benefits:
- Difficulties falling asleep at the start of the night
- Problems with waking up during the night or too early in the morning
- Difficulties with getting back to sleep during the night
- Poor sleep quality or unrefreshing sleep
- Anxiety, stress or worry related to your sleep difficulties
- Aches and pains that are impacting your sleep
- Daytime fatigue, tiredness or exhaustion
- Depressed mood as a result of your sleep difficulties
- A desire to improve your overall health